Life At Korthuis Manor

Life At Korthuis Manor
Captain Randy and his First Mate!

Friday, September 23, 2011

A scrappin' day with Mandarin Orange Cake Recipe

I made a decision coming into the fall that if I didn't start scheduling some scrappin' time I would have scrapbooks only caught up to Kindergarten for Emily's Grad party.  For both the boys I had their scrapbooks out on a table at their parties and they had so much fun with their friends looking over the years.  So, I am determined to get Em's current (yes, I am aware I have more than a few years to go!).

I am TERRIBLE about sitting down by myself and scrappin' -there's always something else I will do (ie: laundry, vacuuming, balancing checkbooks - you get the idea). So, the only way to ensure that I will scrap is to invite friends over to join me.  I have decided that I am going to do this once a month for a whole day.  From 10AM - 8PM. Friends can come and go to suit their schedule, but I am staying at it all day!
The first day was a SUCCESS - I got 16 pages done and a 17th one almost done! (Mind you - my pages are S I M P L E!) Yeah me!  Can't wait until next month!

My friend Amy and her husband make chocolate!  What a dream - a chocolate kitchen connected to your home!  She brought us some of their bars of chocolate, we steamed up some milk and voila' - drinking chocolate.  YUMMINESS!!

Years ago I got a recipe from a friend - she use to make it when we would get together and scrap so now I associate the two together!  It's one of those simple, throw together, have everything in the house, kind of recipes!


Mandarin Orange Cake
1 c. sugar
1 egg
1 c. flour
1-12 oz. can mandarin oranges, drained
1 tsp soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 c. nuts (I use chopped pecans)
TOPPING:
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp. milk

Mix dry ingredients and then stir in egg and drained oranges. As you stir it will look VERY dry, but keep stirring, as the oranges break down the batter becomes moist.  Stir very well.  Place in greased 9X9 and bake for 30 min at 350.    When the cake is done melt topping ingredients and pour over hot cake.  I try to especially spoon it in the edges so it doesn't all go to the middle.  The cake will sink in the middle a bit - but then you can save that piece for you with all the nummy topping on it!
Have a great weekend!  Enjoy the warm days if they actually arrive!

5 comments:

Tami said...

That cake is crazy good! Thanks for everything, it was fun.

Anonymous said...

I loved your recipe; only change I made was to use 2 cans oranges. My hubby loves super moist, so I used half of the second can and reserved the rest to put on top. Awesome turned out great. I'm Glenda's Auntie Sharon; she sent me your blog and I'll forever be a follower. The recipes from your fellow bloggers look great and I can't wait to try them. Loved meeting you and hope we see each other again sometime. Love Auntie Sharon

Tabby Giant said...

Wow. This sure looks delicious to me. The flavor of orange and the vanilla blended. Thanks for the recipe.

Piano Childs said...

Hi! From the look of it I'm sure your Mandarin Orange Cake is delicious and I would surely love it because Mandarin orange is also my favorite. I will try your recipe one weekend and share it with my friends and relatives. Thanks again for the recipe.

Doll Cottage said...

Wow! Great recipe! Thank you for sharing it with us! I can't wait to try it out!