Life At Korthuis Manor

Life At Korthuis Manor
Captain Randy and his First Mate!

Thursday, December 18, 2008

All snowed in......................and lovin' it!!!

Today was the kind of day I love..........it started with SLEEPING IN!!! I love going to bed knowing school is canceled and we have no schedule!! I got home about 2pm yesterday and had visions of finishing gifts, doing Christmas baking, and some checkbook work! All that got done (besides laying in front of the fire reading and watching TV) was dinner! Isn't that pitiful???? But I did finish a good book!! Here's a dark picture of our house in the snow tonight - I will get one tomorrow in the daylight!

Today my mom and I had our annual almond stick baking day scheduled! I've really had the best end of the deal in this tradition, as my mom buys the supplies (which aren't cheap) and then she mixes up the dough and the filling the day before. Then she comes over and we assembly line the batch of 16 almond sticks. We've been doing this for years and it's a tradition I love!!! (Did I mention she only takes 4 sticks and leaves me with 12?) I keep teasing her that as long as I can get her wheelchair up to the counter she will be doing this with me!!! (no, she's not in a wheelchair yet - that's how many more years we have ahead of us :-) This is mom rolling out the dough - she's a pro at this!
...........then she passes it over to me and I fill them, seal the edges, prick them with a fork, brush them with egg white and stick them in the oven!!!

We taste test them as soon as they're cool enough to take a bite! I love the flaky pastry and the almond paste filling when it's warm - nummy!! (That's for you Debbie doo!)


Tonight Brandon has friends over to play rock band (for those of you who know what this means to the noise level in my house tonight - I appreciate your sympathy!!). I have sloppy joes simmering and hashbrown potatoes in the oven for them to swoop down and gobble up!

Maybe - and only maybe - I will get something productive done tonight! I have to admit that since I have the next few days at home with nothing pressing to be done, I just might have to put off productivity until tomorrow (after I sleep in that is - because.....school is canceled!!!)


1 comment:

theSNAPsisters said...

Love the almond sticks-i made them with the Ebenezer mom's once I should try it again on my own.