Life At Korthuis Manor

Life At Korthuis Manor
Captain Randy and his First Mate!

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Spring Break fun & a new recipe!

This week Brandon has been home for Spring Break. He brought his friend Alex who is from Alabama, and we have been having fun. I've been busy in the kitchen - but I LOVE it!

Alex had said that he loves salmon and we informed him that if he hadn't had Salmon from the Pacific NW, then he hadn't had salmon. So, last night we fired up the new grill and did marinated shrimp, salmon and some chicken. Brandon and his friends were outside playing Bocce ball while waiting for dinner and I was loving the evening (besides that fact that it was so warm and sunny!!) We had our friends Katie, Dan & Marla too - so the house was rumbling with activity - LOVE IT! I've decided that I have a 6th love language (if you've read the book it says there are 5), and it is "spontaneous parties"!!!
I love how college kids are so appreciative of home cooked goodness!!
Blackberry pie for dessert................
And, as I made these rolls I decided this is a MUST share recipe for the blog. These are rolls that are a combination biscuit/roll - they are awesome and great leftover for lunches!!

Heavenly Dinner Rolls

1 pkg yeast (about 2 1/2 tsp)
1/8 c warm water
2 c. milk
1/2 c. shortening
1/2 c. sugar
4+ c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Microwave milk and shortening together for about 2 min and shortening begins to melt, then add to water/yeast (ensure it's not too hot or it will kill the yeast-it should be about the same temp as your wrist), stir in sugar and 2 cups of the flour and mix well. Cover and let rise for 2 hours (at this point I don't even cover it, I just leave it in the mixing bowl and walk away). After 2 hours, add baking powder & soda, salt and enough of the flour to form a soft, yet slightly sticky dough. At this point you can cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days, punching down each day or you can use right away. Turn onto floured surface. Roll dough 1/2" thick and cut with a biscuit cutter. Let rise for 30 min. Bake at 350 for 10-15 min, or until lightly browned. Makes about 20-24 rolls
You HAVE to try these! FABULOUS!!

2 comments:

Trisha Brink Design said...

my, my, my....looks yummy Janny Poo!!!! I'm jelous of all the playing outside stuff...and the food! GET OUT!!! You are just trying to torture me here right???

Tami said...

I want to try the rolls. I'm thinking heart shaped for my favorite holiday!