Life At Korthuis Manor

Life At Korthuis Manor
Captain Randy and his First Mate!

Friday, February 20, 2009

ETC.

I haven't had really anything, (or anytime!) to post, so I'll just write a quick one about not necessarily anything important! I have been absolutely loving the sunny days! Yesterday I had coffee with my friend Kathi and we sat outside on their beautiful patio with a latte' - it was so relaxing! I came home unloaded groceries and then quick washed the car - it got filthy driving up to Mt. Baker. Then I headed to Bellingham. Last night I was asked to go to a dinner for a few alumni of Bellingham Christian School (I went there K-8), and then we all sat in a group and they asked us questions and video taped our conversations. BCS is having their 50th anniversary and they are going to use these video clips to show at their celebration. I sat next to my 4th grade teacher Mrs. Dvoracheck, and had an absolutely lovely time. There were those moments when someone would mention something, and you'd have a total flashback - "Oh wow - I haven't heard that, or I had forgotten about that" moment!

Last night as I was making spanish rice for dinner for the family, I decided to take a picture of my new favorite kitchen tool! I don't even know the technical name for it! It's from Pampered Chef and you use it to kind of chop and stir your hamburger while you're browning it!

This tool is so awesome! It breaks the hamburger up really fine! You must get one!

Also, I made a family favorite for dinner this week and thought I'd share.

I don't even have a name for it! My friend taught me how to do the sauce and this is the recipe that kind of evolved after I had learned to make the sauce. This recipe is not for faint of heart - OK, I mean those with high cholesterol :-) - since it is made with whipping cream! I use the fresh cheese tortellini you buy in the deli section from Costco (it comes in a 2 pack and I use 1 pack for this recipe).

You start by cutting up 4-6 polish sausage and browning them in a skillet with 2-3 cloves crushed garlic. After the meat is starting to kind of brown, pour in 2 cups whipping cream right on top of the meat. Keep heat on Med. and let the cream reduce a bit. Then I add frozen peas and keep things a simmerin'. Once the tortellini has been boiled I add about 1 cup grated parmesan cheese to the skillet w/whipping cream, meat and peas. Stir well, this will thicken the sauce up a bit. Sometimes I add a bit more cheese - just kind of eyeball it. Add sauce to drained pasta and serve! It's a hit!

I always serve it with a loaf of fresh crusty bread (have you made it yet?). This dish is great for leftovers too, if there are any! When I make this recipe we're sitting down to eat about 20-25 minutes after I start! TRY IT - just don't make it too often :-)!

Enjoy the sunshine!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The tool is called the mix n chop, and my aunt ordered 4 of them for Christmas for all her girls, she's such a believer in it! I also concur... it's the best Pampered Chef tool ever!

I totally am with you on the sunny days... I had to go on a hunt for my sunglasses! The problem is that the boys think it's warm, and every time company comes are goes they go running out the front door, and then Wayne runs back in screaming, "it's COLD!." Life lessons, they are so hard to learn!

Oh yeah... lovin' the new blog background! And I gotta have my little friend over to have coffee with me on the patio... That sounds like a little piece of heaven on earth right now!

Musicmom-Amy said...

Okay! I tried your crusty bread! INCREDIBLE!!!! A new family favorite and so easy smeasy to make. Thanks for the recipe :D